Friday, March 4, 2011

The Twenty-Six Malignant Gates

     Similar to the introductory segment of the first section, the second section of The Joy Luck Club also has an introductory piece. The preliminary segment, titled The Twenty-Six Malignant Gates, tells the story of a girl learning a lesson the hard way. Rather than appreciating her mother's advice, she gets angry and attempts to prove her mother wrong. In the end, her mother is proven correct because the girl fell off her bicycle even before she reached the corner.
     This introductory section foreshadows the complex relationship and misunderstandings between mothers and their daughters. In the first story of the second section, "Rules of the Game," complexity between the mother and daughter arise when the mother becomes too prideful over her daughter. Although it is understandable for a child's parents to be proud of their child when he or she achieves something deserving compliment, the child may soon come to dislike that attention his or her parents draw to him or her.
My mother had a habit of standing over me while I plotted out my games. I think she thought of herself as my protective ally. [...] One day, after we left a shop I said under my breathe, "I wish you wouldn't do that, telling everybody I'm your daughter." [...]  My mother's eyes turned into dark slits. She had no words for me, just sharp silence, (98-99).
After hearing her mother talk about her success over and over again, Waverly has finally gotten tired of it and wishes for her mother to stop. However, Waverly's mother is not happy about being denied her natural ability to show off her daughter to society, leading to rebellious feelings.
Opposite of me was my opponent, two angry black slits. She wore a triumphant smile. "Strongest wind cannot be seen," she said. Her black men advanced across the plane...My white pieces screamed as they scurried and fell off the board one by one. [...] I closed my eyes and pondered my next move, (100-101).
At the end of "Rules to the Game," Waverly imagines herself having a chess game against her mother and Waverly was losing her pieces one by one. In a sense, this game can represent the reality that even if Waverly tries to run away from things she dislikes, she will still have to eventually face the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment