Friday, December 17, 2010

Speak Discussion 3

After three long week of reading Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, my group has finally finished our last discussion. During the Lit Circle, my group agreed that Melinda has somewhat changed her perspective of the rape incident and is finally letting go of her belief that keeping silent will allow her to forget about being raped during the end-of-summer party. Melinda started her freshman year alone in denial, depression, and silence but by the end of her freshman year, she is able to verbalize rejection and unwillingness. This is exemplified when Melinda rejects the offer to help her former friend with the prom decorations because that friend abandoned her due to Melinda's lack of popularity and rumors of being crazy. Then I proposed a question: "Which is more important: friendship or popularity?"
My group agreed that friendship is more essential. Although it is true that many popular people have many friends, how many of those friends are their friends because they like them as who they are and not because of their popularity? (I'm not saying that friends of popular people are all fakes but how many of them are true friends and would not abandon them at the time of need or when their popularity ends?) I believe that having friends whom I can trust is more important than being well liked or famous. If I cannot trust those who I am suppose to trust, who can I trust then?
In addition, I believe that all people need friends because everyone eventually needs someone to rely on. I do not know why, but some people are able to open themselves to friends more than their families. Sometimes, people choose to tell their friends about situations that they wish to avoid consulting with their families. This can also be exemplified through Melinda because she told (actually, she wrote) her ex-best friend about the rape incident but never even hinted the incident to her parents. This also applies to secrets because some people are able tell their friends some, or maybe even all, of their secrets but not their parents. Why? What makes friends so reliable and trustworthy?

No comments:

Post a Comment